Croom Concrete has been producing precast concrete cattle slats for the agri-construction sector for over 30 years. The slat sizes can be designed to suit individual shed requirements. Our recommendation for dairy cow slats are for a grooved standing space of 160mm – 175mm (anything under 160mm is not comfortable for cow hoof comfort) and spacing between slots of 38-43mm for adequate cleanliness.
Also in the last year we have improved and updated our manufacturing facilities from a wet cast plant to a dry-cast production system having found from experience that the gripped finished on the wet cast slats tended to wear easily over short periods of time, leading farmers in having to groove slats, which in turn causing chipping to slats.
Benefits of Precast Concrete Cattle Slats
- With the increase in the price of straw, suspended slat floors are a cheaper, long term option.
- Reduced bedding costs and in turn labour costs due to less time needed cleaning & changing the bedding.
- As the slurry is dropped into the tank below, slurry can be easily collected into tankers.
- Animal welfare is better with a reduction in slurry heel and other foot problems’.e. digital dermatitis (DD).
- An overall increase in performance due to increased cow comfort.
- As the slurry is collected in a contained tank the risk of leakage into watercourses is minimised.
The dry cast is proven to be far more durable in a highly corrosive environment like slurry storage helping to maintain grip. Also, we have implemented the use of GGBS into our mix designs which helps increase both the strength and longevity of the slat life span.
All slats are designed and built-in accordance with all Irish, British and European standards and are CE certified. Our easy to install precast concrete cattle slats are ideal for use over slurry channels, underground tanks and as part of a suspended floor system.
We manufacture our precast concrete cattle slats with high strength 60kN dry-cast concrete for superior durability and to provide a level, non-slip surface. We employee a quality control technician to guarantee quality and strengths are maintained at all times.
Design Features of Croom Precast Concrete Cattle Slats:
- Designed to BS8110 (EN2 1992. Eurocode 2)
- Dry Cast Technology/superior strength
- Slats manufactured with a minimum 160mm hoof standing space between slots to improve cow comfort
- Galvanised access cover cast into all Manhole points
- Superior 60Kn High Strength Concrete compared to the 40Kn standard
- Suspended Floor System up to 6 metres.
- Slats are designed to provide optimum space to surface ratio
- CE Certified
- 45mm concrete cover to reinforcing steel means no corrosion and a longer life span. Standard is 35mm
- 16mm steel all slats up to 3900mm, 20mm steel slats up to 4500mm and 25mm steel slats up to 5000mm
- High quality vibrated finish giving smooth tapered sides and level non-slip surface for greater cattle comfort
Agitating Units can be used in conjunction with our precast concrete cattle slats. Each agitating unit compromises of a lockable galvanised unit which provides safe access to the slurry tank.
The opening of the access point has been designed to accommodate all types of agitating equipment.
Pre-stressed Passage Slabs
Croom Concrete also produces a complementary range of passage slabs.
- Ideal for tractor access for a passageway
- Designed for axle loading of up to 10,000kg
- Manufactured from 150-200mm in depth
- Range of precast pre-stressed passage slabs can be supplied depending on the loadings required to suit customer requirements
- Lengths of up to 7 metres can be achieved
Note: Pre-stressed suspended passages usually require a structural screed. Please contact our in house design team for further information.
Typical Dimension and Performance of Slats